Guerrillas executed 24 unarmed Union soldiers on leave at the Centralia train depot. Later, they ambushed and killed 107 pursuing Union volunteers, a casualty rate of 89%.
Forces Engaged: 39th Infantry Volunteers (Union) 120 vs. Bushwhacker “Bloody Bill” Anderson’s gang >80

Marker Locations: City Square, corner of Allen & Singleton Sts.; and the intersection of Rollins & Railroad Sts.
Battlesite: 19101 N. Rangeline Rd., Centralia, Mo
Stamp Location: Centralia Historical Society Museum (Historic Home and Chance Gardens) (See Mount Zion Church for alternate stamp location)
Website: centraliamomuseum.org & centraliabattlefield.com
Address: 319 E. Sneed St., Centralia, Mo 65240
Phone Number: 573-682-5711
Staff Available: May-Nov: Sun & Wed, 2-4 pm
Visit Fee: None; donations are appreciated.


The Centralia battlefield website has a virtual tour of the grounds and monuments, as well as a short video of a local historian talking about the battle and the 2014 reenactment.

Click here for tour:

In the fall of 1864, the Confederates, faced with a rapidly deteriorating position, launched an invasion of northern Missouri. It was led by General Sterling Price and his Missouri State Guard. The object was to influence the 1864 presidential election by capturing St. Louis and the state capital at Jefferson City. As part of his strategy, Price encouraged guerrilla warfare, especially the disruption of the railroads. “Bloody Bill” Anderson and his guerrilla company were among those who took part.

On September 23, 1864, Anderson engaged in a skirmish in Boone County, Missouri, seven miles east of Rocheport. His men managed to kill eleven Federal soldiers and three black civilian teamsters. The Federals responded the next day by shooting six of Anderson’s men who were captured at a home in Rocheport.

That same day, September 24, Anderson attacked the pro-Union town of Fayette, but the attack was a failure. Anderson lost thirteen men killed and more than thirty were wounded. Only one Union soldier had been killed and two wounded.

At 9:00 a.m. on September 27, Anderson with about 80 guerrillas, some dressed in stolen Union Army uniforms, moved into Centralia to cut the North Missouri Railroad. The guerrillas looted the town and reportedly drank whiskey from stolen boots. Anderson blocked the rail line, and the engineer of an approaching train failed to realize it until too late since the men he saw were wearing blue uniforms. The guerrillas swarmed over the train. The 125 passengers were divided between civilians and soldiers. A total of 23 Union soldiers were aboard, all on leave after the Battle of Atlanta and heading to their homes in northwest Missouri or southwest Iowa.

The Union soldiers were ordered at gunpoint to strip off their uniforms. Anderson called for an officer. Sergeant Thomas Goodman bravely stepped forward, expecting to be shot and the rest spared. Instead, Anderson’s men ignored Goodman and began shooting the others. The bodies were then maimed and scalped. The guerrillas then set fire to the train and sent it running down the tracks toward Sturgeon, Missouri. They torched the depot and rode away from the town. Sergeant Goodman was taken prisoner on Anderson’s orders, with the plan that he would be exchanged later for one of Anderson’s own men held prisoner by Federal forces. Goodman spent ten days in the captivity of the guerrillas before escaping at night as they prepared to cross the Missouri River, near Rocheport.

At about 3:00 p.m., Union Major A. V. E. Johnston, with 146 men of the newly formed 39th Missouri Infantry Regiment (Mounted), rode into Centralia. The townspeople warned him that Anderson had at least 80 well-armed men, but Johnston nevertheless led his men in pursuit. The Union soldiers soon encountered the guerrillas, and Johnston decided to fight them on foot. He ordered his men to dismount and form a line of battle (location: 39.17436°N 92.10968°W). He then reportedly called out a challenge. Anderson’s men replied by making a mounted charge. Armed with muzzle-loading Enfield rifles, the Federal recruits were no match for the guerrillas with their revolvers. Johnston’s first volley killed several guerrillas, but then his men were overrun. Most were shot down as they attempted to flee. According to Frank James, his younger brother Jesse fired the shot that killed Major Johnston. Of the 147 Union soldiers, 123 were killed during the battle with only one man wounded. Confederate forces lost three men killed and ten wounded. [Source: Wikipedia]

Website: CivilWarontheWesterBorder.org – Centralia Massacre
Website: History – Confederate Guerrillas Sack Centralia